Mississippi Pot Roast: Kosher and Halal Friendly
Mississippi Pot Roast is a fan favorite. I’ve seen this recipe across the internet and heard it spoken about numerous times at work. What was most appealing about it, in addition to it’s rave reviews, was the ease in making it. Most recipes that I reviewed only required a crockpot, chuck roast, two seasoning packets, and peppers.
Yes, definitely seemed easy enough to me, so I went to get the items and ran into a huge snag.
Now, for many people, this snag isn’t a problem, but for those who want to try the traditional Mississippi Pot Roast, there’s a glaring issue.
The issue with the traditional recipe is that it’s not kosher or halal friendly because all of the Ranch Onion Mix and Au Jus Seasoning Packets contain pork. If you’re new to kosher or halal eating, products bestowing the U symbol indicated that it’s acceptable for kosher diets. However, many have found that even if the U is present, it’s best to check the ingredients to see if it absolutely meets standard. Two added chemicals to look for are disodium guanylate and disodium inosinate. Also look out for flavor enhancers.
Since both packet contained these ingredients, I looked for alternatives because I really wanted to try this pot roast.
Of course, I search Google and Pinterest high and low then finally found this recipe for homemade ranch seasoning mix. I didn’t use the exact recipe but close.
Here’s how I made it:
Kosher Ranch Seasoning Mix
1/2 cup of dry buttermilk
1 tablespoon of dried parsley
2 teaspoons of dried dill
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
You can see the mix on the preparation video here.
Kosher Au Jus Mix
2 tablespoons butter (please use kosher butter for this dish if you follow a kosher or halal diet)
1/4 white onion finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of browning
1/2 cup of warm water
Ingredients for the Mississippi Pot Roast
- chuck roast
- homemade Au Jus Seasoning
- homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 2 tablespoons of Mezzetta Greek Golden Pepperoncini
Click the video below for the pop roast preparation tutorial.
- In short, make the ranch seasoning mix and sit to the side.
- Melt butter in a non-stick pan
- chop onions then place in the pan to simmer
- add red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, browning and allow to warm
- add warm water then stir and allow to simmer for 5 minutes
- add Au Jus Mix to the pre-heated crockpot
- add 1/2 of the ranch seasoning mix to the crockpot with the Au Jus Seasoning Mix and stir
- add rinsed chuck roast to crock pot
- add the remaining ranch seasoning mix and massage into the roast
- cover and allow to cook 5 – 6 hours based on crockpot settings
- turn the roast at the 1/2 mark
How to Make Kosher Mississippi Pot Roast